Dixie State University

Disability Resource Center


Welcome to the Disability Resource Center (DRC), the designated department on the campus of Dixie State University responsible for evaluating disability documentation, determining eligibility, and implementing reasonable accommodations for students who have disabilities that may affect their academic success.

Student Eligibility

A student may be eligible for DRC services if he or she:

  • Has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities
  • Has a record of such impairment
  • Is regarded as having such impairment

Further Details



Learn about the equipment and services that students with disabilities can take advantage of at Dixie.

Learn More


Find out about scholarships available to students with disabilities.

View Details


Access the forms required for many applications and services.

Get Started


The Disability Resource Center serves students with disabilities by providing equal access to DSU academic programs, non-academic activities, and campus facilities to facilitate and promote student participation, success, retention and graduation.

We believe that students with disabilities at DSU are as much in control of their educational experience as students without.

“Whether you think you can or think you can’t you are right”—Henry Ford


Learn more about the policies and procedures of the Disability Resource Center.

Privacy and confidentiality

Grievances and complaints

Animal policy

Returning Students

Once accommodations have been approved, it is the student’s responsibility to meet with the Disability Resource Center staff each semester to review their classes, academic progress, and arrange needed accommodations for the new semester.

However, if you wish to receive the same accommodations as your previous semester you have the option to send a detailed class schedule along with your list of approved accommodations to drc@dixie.edu . The DRC will prepare your forms and call you when they are ready to be picked up

If you feel additional accommodations would be helpful and have the documentation to support this request, contact us at 435-652-7516 or drc@dixie.edu to schedule an appointment to discuss options.


Do I need to inform Dixie State University (DSU) that I have a disability?

No, but if you want the school to provide accommodations, you must identify yourself as having a disability and register with the Disability Resource Center (DRC). In any event, your disclosure of a disability is always voluntary.

When should I notify the Disability Resource Center (DRC) about my disability?

Although you need not disclose a disability during the admission process, it is advisable to notify the DRC as soon as possible after applying and being accepted. This will help the DRC assist in many areas of student orientation such as campus navigation, testing, student support programs, etc.

What accommodations will I receive?

Accommodations are determined case-by-case based on the documentation and the nature of the disability. In all cases, accommodations will not be given if they alter the essential elements of a course.

Check Accommodations

f I had a 504/IEP in high school does it automatically transfer to DSU?

No, you must inform the school that you have a disability and will need accommodations. Unlike your high school, postsecondary schools are not required to identify and assess your disability. In addition, you are required to provide documentation of your disability.

Check Documentation Guidelines

If I had a 504 or IEP in high school, will the same accommodations be provided?

Although 504 and IEPs clarify the history of the disability or disorder, they may not be adequate to implement accommodations in a college environment. At the post-secondary level, supporting documentation through an evaluation done within the past 3 years or using adult norms would be required.

How will I notify my professors about my need for accommodations?

Once registered with the DRC you will be provided with a letter or form to be given to each instructor. Accommodations become effective after you meet with your instructor to get his /her signature and any other needed information giving approval.

Can I just let my instructors know I have a disability and they can give me accommodations?

No, accommodations must be reviewed by and coordinated through the DRC.

What can I do if I feel I need more accommodations?

Make an appointment with someone at the DRC to discus options. You may be required to provide additional documentation.

Rights and Responsibilities

The student with a disability has:

  • The right to participate in and benefit from programs and activities at Dixie State University without the fear of experiencing discrimination due to a disability
  • The right to obtain an education through reasonable and appropriate accommodations
  • The right to have disability information kept confidential
  • The responsibility to self-identify as a person with a disability, request accommodations, and provide appropriate documentation to the Disability Resource Center Documentation Guidelines
  • The responsibility to meet and maintain Dixie State University academic and technical standards Code of Student Rights and Responsibilities
  • The responsibility to meet with and maintain regular contact with the Disability Resource Center and inform them when an accommodation is ineffective to discuss other options

Office Hours




  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm


  • 8:00 am - 5:00 pm




Disabilities Resource Center

Email: drc@dixie.edu

Phone: 435-652-7516

Fax: 435-879-4038

Office: North Plaza Building
(Beside the Testing Center)